Monday, August 19, 2013

Letter home Aug 17, 2013

So there was a lot of finding time this week, so we walked around Clear Lake Park again. The mosquitoes were driving Sister Fink crazy. The day was kind of cloudy and colder than normal so there wasn't a lot of people out. We found some people to talk to. They were happy to talk about the birds. We tried to bring up religion and they changed the subject back to the birds. When we tried to change the subject back to religion, she kinda got mad and said, "Can we not do this, religion is a private thing." How sad! My religion is not private. I love it. I'd share it with anyone who will listen :)

This week was a week of miracles! We have a progressive investigator, which means we meet with them regularly and they keep commitments. He also has a baptism date set. It is kind of a ways away, but we can move it up if he is ready sooner. His name is Lawrence. He doesn't speak english very well, but he understands everything he reads, so it is good. He use to have a serious drinking problem but he says he has quit already and we have only met with him twice! I am so excited about what is happening with him. We had two investigators at church Sunday. Lawrence and Tyler. Also during the week we have met with a less active sister, Sister G. Before we met we were planning what to teach her. I was asking my companion for some background info on her and she wouldn't tell me anything besides, "she is less active." So I was flipping through the commandments in lesson 4 of PMG. Tithing stuck out to me, so I said tithing. I felt totally silly, why would she pay tithing if she didn't even go to church? But we decided that is what we should teach her. The next day we were preparing a detailed lesson plan for her and I didn't feel good about tithing. Sister Fink said we were going to do it anyway. I was SO nervous. When I asked her if she would live the law of tithing she said YES. She told us "I've been praying to know where to donate my 10%. I guess God answers prayers." At that point I realized it was revelation to teach her that lesson. The next day our Branch President called us to see if we had met with Sister G. We told him we had. He told us he just got a very generous tithing check from her in the mail. WOW! I know that Heavenly Father is using us to bless the lives of others, whether we realize we are blessing them or not. He will never let any of His children go alone and not taken care of. He loves us. This week we watched "Finding Faith in Christ" with Brother N. and it made me cry. God loves us so much! Pray for missionary opportunities and take them when they present themselves. I love you all so much! Thanks for your letters and support, it means more than you know!! xoxoxoxoxox
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment