Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Aug 30, 13 Letter home

Today I was studying chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel. I was doing the evaluation on the last page of the chapter. (page 126.) I read question 11 which says: Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 5. I am confident that I will have a happy and successful mission. In case you can't tell by my last letter, I didn't rate myself a 5. I want my mission to be happy and successful so I read the scripture next to it D&C 31:3-13. I was amazed. Everything that is making me sad is addressed in these 10 verses. It is saying "Hey Emily, be happy. You are the one that chose to go on a mission, now just teach the Gospel. Work hard and you will have success. Your family will be fine you will only be away a little while. Now, be patient and learn to love people. The Holy Ghost will guide you. Pray to avoid temptation. Be faithful. And once again I am reminded that I am not alone. I do love my mission as long as I am teaching people. I love being in lessons and hearing how people are gaining a testimony of this or that. I love serving people, so long as I stay busy I like it. Sorry if I sounded like I hate everything because I don't. The branch is great! Teaching people is great. Serving people is great. Studying so much is great. I just need to learn to be patient with myself and the changes that need to happen. I love you all so much and pray for your safety daily.

To mom:
I quickly discovered how difficult it is to switch companions. I didn't know it would be so hard, but
WOW! People are so different, but slowly we are getting used to each other and how we communicate. I am beginning to love her. Brother O moved away. It basically broke my heart. I was so excited to have a baptism and to feel the joy everyone talks about to be a part of someone's conversion. But I guess the time is not right for him yet.
Our P day in Mankato was so fun. We played ultimate frisbee, which was silly because boys are frisbee hogs but that's ok we got to run around and relieve stress. Then we ate at Token BBQ. The food was so good. Then we played kickball and had a small water balloon fight. It was nice to be able to sit with other missionaries even though nobody knows what it is like to serve in Waseca, they are my age and they are friendly. I just love feeling like I have friends.
I have been trying so hard to be who God wants me to be. I know I'm not being patient. I just want to say I will be happy or obedient and have it happen. I often find myself focusing on things I need to fix about myself and nothing good. I feel like I have been prideful when I think about things I am good at. I know Heavenly Father has given me talents. I just need to recognize them and strengthen them.

No comments:

Post a Comment