Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jan 13, 2014 letter to mom.

Tyler asked if the Karen people were Christian. So part of this letter is in response to that.

   The Karen people are either Buddhist or Baptist. Most of the ones I have found here are Baptist. I have only taught one Buddhist family so far. In the 1800's Baptist missionaries went to Burma and so a lot of people know about Christianity that way.

   The lady we were teaching that brought all her family to church, we haven't had any luck meeting with her, but we taught her sister so hopefully we can just keep teaching her family until they all want to be baptized!

   I love my I pod it is great to have music! I can only handle so much MOTAB so if you could find Hymns with by Eclipse, Jericho Road, or Vocal Point that would be nice to have too! (Taken care of. 4 new cd's were sent this week for her birthday!!)

   We always stay warm. President Clements takes good care to make sure we stay safe, but we also layer up a lot! I love the new gloves. I wear them everyday!

   There were a lot of houses with Christmas lights up, but not really around where we live because we don't really live by houses or in a nice part of town. We are mostly around apartments and businesses. We probably won't go to the Winter Festival. We don't really get to go do things like that. They did have some really cool lights up at Phalen Lake Park during Christmas.

   You talked about Joseph Fielding Smith not having one baptism, that would be so hard to not even have one. I have been out for 6 months and sometimes it's hard to not be discouraged at not having a baptism yet. England is a really hard mission. I think tons of people come out without baptisms.

   Man, everyone asked me what my family was doing for New Years. I told them "My family is snowmobiling for the whole weekend!" haha Oh well, people will never have to know what my family really did for New Years. I miss playing games. We don't have any, but on last Monday we were not allowed outside because of the cold and in an old missionary apartment in our same building we found Lord of the Rings Risk so I convinced Sister Riley to play it with me. By the time we got started we only had twenty minutes but it was still fun.

Love, Sister Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment