Thursday, July 11, 2013

The aha moment

I am going to try to summarize Emily's last letter home. She has been questioning her choice to go on a mission. She was wondering if she ever got a real answer from Heavenly Father and the MTC was not very fun. She had a little meltdown on the 4th of July and didn't want to be there anymore. Then on Friday sitting in class her teacher asked them to share spiritual things that had happened that day. She instantly thought, "I haven't had and spiritual things today, I am a missionary and if I have not had any spiritual experiences then I kinda suck." Then she was reminded several times from her emails and letters from home that she is not alone. Grandma Helen gave her some great advice: She will always have two companions on her mission. Her sister companion and her Heavenly Father. Two scriptures D&C 121:7-8 and John 14:18 also brought great comfort. She also remembered her blessing from being set apart. President Jason Young toward the end of her blessing told her she would never be alone. While she was contemplating all these things the Holy Ghost kind of took over her heart and she thought it might explode. In class on Saturday they were talking about the different ways we can feel the spirit. D&C 128:1 helped her to understand that the Holy Ghost can speak just by having things occupy our minds. The whole time she was deciding whether to serve or not, she was thinking about it all the time and that was the Holy Ghost telling her yes.
One really cool thing her branch president told her was that from the time she was baptized until the time she entered the MTC however strong her testimony was, it would double in the two weeks she was in the MTC. She believes him.
She extended an invitation to pray for charity. Said it would be a good experience. She is quite worried about her grandma Dixie and not being with her in heaven. More good scriptures can be found on a chart on pages 96 and 97 of Preach my Gospel. The section is about how the Holy Ghost communicates to us.
Emily is growing so much already. I remember my friends who had missionaries go out tell me about when they would write home and encourage them to read the scriptures more, pray more, etc. Now I am getting the encouragement from my missionary. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment